[SIPForum-discussion] very imp question about route& recordroute

gurudatt balaji gurudattbalaji at gmail.com
Sat Apr 28 09:52:33 UTC 2007

Hi Deepanshu,

Basically, the SIP signalling and the media do not traverse the same paths.

For instance in IMS, SIP signaling goes through the proxies (CSCF's), while
the media goes via the GGSN or SBC or MGW (depending on the network) and
proxies will not involved in processing media streams. (also not required)

By adding record_route header into the request, proxy ensures that
subsequent requests (for ex re-Invite) flow through it onceagain, again it
is SIP signalling not media.

In simple terms media flows between two clients directly, and proxy is
involved only in setting the session thro SIP signalling.

Hope this clariffies your doubts.

Reg
Balaji