[SIPForum-discussion] CANCEL request will be send from UAC to UAS at that time what response UAC will get

Robert Sparks rjsparks at nostrum.com
Fri Apr 20 07:11:07 UTC 2007

This is answered in RFC3261.

The answer depends on how quickly the CANCEL occurred after the
INVITE it is associated with.

If the INVITE transaction state still exists, the CANCEL will receive
a 200 (it does not matter that the INVITE was already accepted - the
200 CANCEL means "I got your CANCEL", not "I cancelled your INVITE".
You learn whether an INVITE has been cancelled through the final
response to the INVITE).

If the INVITE transaction has terminated, the CANCEL will receive a
481 Transaction not found.

RjS