[SIPForum-discussion] Putting Record route in the responses

Steve Parrish parrishsteve2000 at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 24 14:43:03 UTC 2006

I forget where it is the spec but here are a few comments.

The Record-Route semantics aren't valid until the dialog is "confirmed"
(active).  Meaning, if the INVITE contains the Record-Route header field
and the dialog is successfully established (via a 2xx response), then
the Record-Route header field values will be used.

Since in your example you return a 4xx-5xx response to the INVITE, the
semantics of the Record-Route header fields is irrelevant (No SIP device
along the path will use them), I don't think it makes any difference
whether or not you include them in the response.

-Steve Parrish