[SIPForum-discussion] UAs

Maddox, Sean (MVNSO Solutions Mgr) sean.maddox at hp.com
Tue Feb 28 06:33:18 UTC 2006

Manpreet,

My understanding is that the NAPTR response isn't a SIP URI but instead
should contain at least 3 records each of which identifies a service
(which itself defines both service & protocol) and an associated target
for that service.  Service in the context of SIP NAPTR records means
either SIP (non-secure) or SIPS (secure) while protocol in this context
means TCP, UDP or SCTP.  The combination of protocol and service being
represented by the DNS response as SIP+D2U (SIP over UDP), SIP+D2T (SIP
over TCP), SIPS+D2T (secure SIP over TLS over TCP) and SIP+D2S (SIP over
SCTP).  The SIP client processes these NAPTR records with an order of
preference for selection of SIPS+D2T (secure & reliable transport),
SIP+D2T (un-secure & reliable) and finally SIP+D2U (un-secure &
un-reliable).  The replacement value associated with each NAPTR record
identifies the value to issue the SRV DNS request against.

>From RFC 3263, the NAPTR response might contain the following values:

   ;          order pref flags service      regexp  replacement
      IN NAPTR 50   50  "s"  "SIPS+D2T"     ""  _sips._tcp.example.com.
      IN NAPTR 90   50  "s"  "SIP+D2T"      ""  _sip._tcp.example.com
      IN NAPTR 100  50  "s"  "SIP+D2U"      ""  _sip._udp.example.com.

The client is supposed to first choose a service and then issues a DNS
SRV request using the replacement value (for example
_sips._tcp.example.com) which in turn would yield a target of something
to the effect of sips-service.example.com and a port.  If a numeric IP
address is returned instead then the client uses the address, if no port
is returned then the default is assumed.  If a non-numeric value is
returned the client should issue a DNS A or AAAA request against the
target value to resolve it.

That is at least the way I read, and re-read, things.

Thx - Sean

Sean P. Maddox <sean.maddox at hp.com <mailto:sean.maddox at hp.com> >
IP Communications Solutions Manager - HP Americas
Mobility, Voice & Network Solutions
The Hewlett-Packard Company
+1 817.898.0218
sip:sean.maddox at hp.com

As always, please let me know if you prefer not to receive these emails
from me. For more information regarding Hewlett-Packard's policy or to
obtain contact information, please see our privacy statement at:
http://thenew.hp.com/country/us/eng/privacy_intent.html