[SIPForum-discussion] Is SIP important to IoT?

Paul Kyzivat pkyzivat at alum.mit.edu
Wed Jul 20 12:24:52 UTC 2016

On 7/19/16 3:51 PM, Rodrigo Pimenta Carvalho wrote:
> Hi Paul.
>

> Thank you very much for your comments!
>

> In my case, for example, I'm participating in a project for a company
> that built products in surveillance area.
>
> Its new product will be a kind of intercom that runs a SIP Proxy. Such
> intercom, when connected to Internet, will be able to communicate with
> smart phones of the residents of the respective house. The intercom will
> communicate with surveillance cameras placed in such house too. The
> communication with such cameras will use IP, but not SIP. The SIP is
> being used only between the intercom and the phones. I think this is an
> example of project that we have things connected to Internet and giving
> more security for people. So, could it be called a IoT project? Maybe
> yes. What do you think?

AFAIK there is no widely agreed definition of IoT. Rather it is more of
a marketing buzzword. So IMO there is no point in using *that* as any
criterion for what you do or don't do. Instead, I suggest you simply
decide what you want to do, and then decide on the best protocols to use
to do it. (If you want to discuss whether SIP is a good choice for the
things you want to do then I may be able to help.)

You can then turn your product over to the marketing people. If they
decide to describe your product as part of the IoT then so be it.

	Thanks,
	Paul