[SIPForum-discussion] Is SIP important to IoT?

Paul Kyzivat pkyzivat at alum.mit.edu
Thu Jul 14 22:17:42 UTC 2016

On 7/11/16 4:53 PM, Rodrigo Pimenta Carvalho wrote:
> Hi.
>

> I'm starting to study about Internet of Things and how SIP relates to
> it. So, I have some beginner questions:
>

> 1 - How much does SIP matter to IoT? That is, can I say that SIP is very
> important to IoT because many communications on this "new" Internet will
> use such protocol?
>

> 2 - Could someone here point some project for IoT that depends on SIP?
>

> 3 - If SIP is important to IoT, what is the main use of such protocol in
> ioT in general?

I have not heard any discussion of this.

AFAIK IoT is a buzzword without any commonly understood definition, so
it is hard to answer such a question in general.

My *impression* is that most discussion of IoT talks about little *light
weight* devices. So it may be that sip is too heavy for those.

OTOH, on the surface, IoT could encompass any sort of thing that usually
operates without human interaction. That could include bigger stuff that
might not find sip a burden. If so, then the question is: what would SIP
be good for in that context? It is mostly about establishing media
sessions between devices. How might that apply for IoT class things?

The first that comes to my mind is surveillance cameras, for instance
for connection with loggers, etc.

	Thanks,
	Paul