[SIPForum-discussion] Call hold scenarios

Paul Kyzivat pkyzivat at alum.mit.edu
Fri Jun 5 19:35:53 UTC 2015

On 6/5/15 2:57 PM, Dipan Kumar wrote:
> Thanks to all for your responses ,It really helped me a lot........
>
> So, what I understood from the above mails ,Please correct me if I am wrong.
>
> sendonly ->.( in 2 possibe cases) -> MOH and normal hold (without MOH)

Yes, I believe it is relatively common to use this even when there is no
intent to send audio. Of course in this case the other side is still
listening for audio, and will play it if received.

> Inactive -> Only incase of UAS sending reInvite for putting UAC on hold
> ,where UAC already put UAS on hold .

It is also permissible to use this when you don't intend to send audio.
IMO this is *better* if you don't intend to send any. It saves the other
end from listening for it, and is a hint that the other end can do as it
wishes. (E.g. supply local audio.)

> 1.what will happen if we put inactive in reInvite for holding a normal
> call (no MOH) ?

It should be fine. You may encounter some buggy implementations that get
upset in some way with this.

>      Is this case feasible?

Entirely.

> 2.Also I found few contradicting points from the above mail chain
>
>     @sumedha :if UAS is responding with inactive , then UAS don't want
> to play the received media on holding call so it      intimate that do
> not send media
>
> to whom it will initimate UAC ?

If you receive inactive in an answer (regardless of what you offered)
then you should not send any media for that stream. (But you should
still send RTCP per specifications.)

> @Paul :in the inactive case the other end can play its own music on hold
> if it wants.
>

> 3. Is it mandatory that hold (inactive) also get Inactive in response ?

Yes. Inactive in an offer MUST always get inactive in the answer.

	Thanks,
	Paul