[SIPForum-discussion] What does mean Unauthorized message received from SIP server after sendign INVITE or REGISTER to it?

Rodrigo Pimenta Carvalho pimenta at inatel.br
Tue Jun 2 18:37:37 UTC 2015

Hi.

I'm learning about SIP today. I have a link between Asterisk (SIP server)  and Jitsi (Softphone).

When Jitsi sends sip INVITE to the Asterisk or sends REGISTER, I can see, on wireshark, that my softphone receives an "SIP/2.0 401 Unauthorized" immediately. Why does it happen? That is, what the client may be trying to do here, in therms of SIP protocol? Or what could be forbidden in the server in terms of SIP communication?

Then, the client send INVITE  again and the Asterisk accept this second request responding with TRYING and OK.

After this, the SIP agent (I don't know if client or server, because all is in the same machine) sends OPTION. I guess this OPTION message is a consequence of the message "Unauthorized",  isn't it?
But again the other agent responds with "SIP/2.0 401 Unauthorized".
So, it seems that even the message OPTION is unauthorized witch doesn't make sense.

What are the possibilities, in terms of SIP, to have the situation of receiving "SIP/2.0 401 Unauthorized" for each request? What should I to investigate in the sip agents configurations to solve it?

Any hint will very helpful!

Best regards.

Rodrigo.