[SIPForum-discussion] Bye Method

Paul Kyzivat pkyzivat at alum.mit.edu
Tue Jul 7 17:13:29 UTC 2015

On 7/7/15 12:49 PM, S at mir Telecom wrote:
> Hi,
>
> If Offer & Answer model case, can send after 180 ringing(With SDP-Answer).
>
> INVITE-------A sends SDP offer to ------------>B
> <----------------180/183--B sends SDP Answer--------------   ///One way
> flow...............
> BYE ---------------A can send------------------------>

BYE is good here, and A really has no other option.

> 2nd:
>
> Forking Case............
>

> A---INV-->B1
> <--180----
> A----CAN-->
> A--INV--->B2

In the above case cancel works because A is doing the forking, and the
forking is serial.

But consider the case where parallel forking is done by an intermediate
proxy. A sees two early dialogs and wants to keep one of them. It cannot
use cancel for that - only BYE works in that case.

In the case where B wants to end the call early, it always has the
option to send a final error response, so there is no obvious motivation
for using cancel.

	Thanks,
	Paul