[SIPForum-discussion] What is the utility of Contact header field?

Jeff Poole korvus at korvus.net
Wed Dec 30 20:20:16 UTC 2015

The Contact header is used in none of these cases -- it is used for routing
new, out-of-dialog messages to the same endpoint (and is often rewritten by
hosted VoIP providers since it usually involves an address that isn't
publicly routable).  Responses to a request follow Via headers, in-dialog
requests follow the Route headers set up in the Record-Route headers of the
initial request/response, and the ACK is the first message to test that
Route (the ACK is routed like a new in-dialog request, so if that doesn't
make it to the other side, the Route headers are probably a problem).

If the endpoints are in different networks, you'll want the proxy to stick
Via and Record-Route headers in the messages so future messages (responses
and in-dialog requests) get routed through the proxy.  If the proxy can
handle it, it would be valuable for it to modify the Contact header as well
so any out-of-dialog requests will go to the proxy which knows how to talk
to each device.