[SIPForum-discussion] Minimum set of required protocols for SIP calls ?

Mauritz Jameson mjames2393 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 1 19:30:48 UTC 2014

I've been reading about Voice Over IP and it's still not clear to me which
protocols (i.e. RFCs) you have to implement to support audio calls between
two IP-endpoints where the two endpoints might not reside on the same
network.

So far I understand that:

   - RTP (RFC 3550) is used for audio payload transport
   - SIP (RFC 3261) is used for signaling
   - SDP (RFC 4566) is used for media negotiation (i.e. which codec to use)
   - RTCP (RFC 3550) is used for transmission stats

So if I'm not mistaken it should be possible to establish a SIP audio call
between two devices with an implementation of the 3 above mentioned
protocols (?)

But what I'm not totally sure about is :

   - Which RFCs do you need to implement to ensure that a SIP audio call
   can be established between two devices which reside on different
   (firewalled) networks ?
   - How do SIP phones typically get around network issues where two SIP
   clients are on two totally different networks and each client is behind a
   firewall? I assume that traffic to certain ports on a public IP address
   MUST be broadcasted to local listeners on those ports? But is that enough?
   What if port forwarding isn't allowed on the network where a SIP client is
   residing?