[SIPForum-discussion] Outbound and inbound proxy

Paul Kyzivat pkyzivat at alum.mit.edu
Mon Dec 22 20:39:27 UTC 2014

On 12/22/14 11:49 AM, Dipan Kumar wrote:
> Thanx to all for your earliest response.
>
> But If think of a scenario where 6 proxies in between
>
> A  ------>P1->P2->P3->P4->P5->P6-------->B
>
> Then according to all of you P1 is outbound proxy and P6 is inbound
> proxy if call is from A to B.
>
> Then how can we define outbound/inbound proxy for  P2 ,P3,P4,P5 ?
>
> On what  basis we define a proxy as outbound and inbound?

Understand that this is not stuff that is formally defined, so you are
probably going to get different opinions, and there is no way to judge
which one is "correct".

One way to approach this is that the definitions are relative to a
particular device. So B might consider P6 to be its inbound and outbound
proxy, while A considers P1 to fill that role. I don't find this
especially helpful.

Another way, which is what I described, is to first identify the "home"
proxy for each UA. The home proxy is the one that handles requests
addressed to the domain portion of a UA's AOR. Then any proxies between
the UA and its home proxy are inbound and/or outbound proxies depending
on which paths they participate in.

There can be many proxies, handling a whole range of things. We don't
have special names for all of them.

	Thanks,
	Paul