[SIPForum-discussion] Codecs in 200 OK response

Stephen James sjames_1958 at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 14 18:35:48 UTC 2013

Multiple codecs in the answer means that the answerer is willing to accept any of the answered codecs during the call without renegotiation.
Many (most) devices can only support a single codec and answer with a single codec.
Larger more powerful gateways can support multiple codecs at the same time.

In our system we have a control that forces the return of a single codec in the answer.

RFC3264 is reference that indicates multiple codecs may be present in both the offer and the answer.

Stephen James
sjames_1958 at yahoo.com

We are not princes of the earth, we are the descendants of worms, and any nobility must be earned.