[SIPForum-discussion] Jitter measurement.

Badri Ranganathan badri at arcatech.com
Thu Mar 14 10:18:31 UTC 2013

Also, its mentioned in RFC 1889 that
   The jitter field of the reception report is
   measured in timestamp units and expressed as an unsigned integer, but
   the jitter estimate is kept in a floating point. As each data packet
   arrives, the jitter estimate is updated:

However, in the sample calculation following that, it is computed as

       rr->jitter = (u_int32) s->jitter;

If we use the above line, how will rr->jitter become a timestamp unit. Will it not remain in milli-seconds?
Should it not be something like ((u_int32) s->jitter) / 0.000125  (depending on the codec, assuming here we use A-law codec where clock frequency 1/8000 = 0.0000125)

Thanks,
Badri.