[SIPForum-discussion] Best Softphone for Testing

John Downing john at trainingcity.com
Wed Mar 6 17:11:39 UTC 2013

Hi Shawn:

I no longer recommend the Bria X-Lite phone for testing unless you buy the
licensed version.

I recommend you look at the 3CX Phone. 3CX really understands the 'Freeium"
model. You can try out their SIP phone, and their IP PBX for free.  There
is even a free support community.  If you decide you like their products
you can purchase them from a variety of sources, including the excellent
website www.voipsupply.com.  I don't think you can change the p-time, but
I'm not sure.

You can also try the remarkable linphone for testing.  It works in every OS.

Maybe Counterpath has made changes to their X-Lite free phone, if so I'd
like to hear from them or someone who knows.

On Fri, Mar 1, 2013 at 2:51 PM, Shawn Augenstein <
saugenstein at impacttelecom.net> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am currently building out a new testing system for the NOC I work at and
> I am curious to see what/if any recommendations there are for soft phones.
> The soft phone must allow the user to change codecs and P-times along with
> being able to register a new ANI. Currently I have SPA 941's deployed and
> they do an adequate job but I am looking to move to soft phones so I can
> add them to an Image for our NOC team.
> However any feedback is appreciated...if there is a inexpensive hardphone
> that can preform better I will look at those.
> For testing purposes I am using Asterisk to peer to my network so I can
> best replicate call paths coming from Customers that then traverse my
> company's network where we then hand off to a vendor for downstream
> termination (we are a back-to-back carrier). Currently testing is done
> replicating call paths but the call originates on our network and I am
> looking to build a "more true" test. The last hurdle I am facing is the
> soft/hard phone testing unit that the agents will interface with.
>
> Thank You,
> Shawn

Thanks... John

John Downing