[SIPForum-discussion] Address change in "Via" field from private IP to public IP.

Srivastava, Gaurav Gaurav.Srivastava at inin.com
Wed Jun 12 02:30:19 UTC 2013

Hi,

I am using a SIP soft phone (Zopier) that registers to Skype. The softphone sends out a REGISTER message to sip.skype.com for this.

While going through the messaging, I noticed that initially the via field contains my private IP address.

When the client re REGISTERs, the address changes from my private IP to the public IP which my organization has.

Please note that I am running the packet capture on my laptop.

I am trying to understand the change in IP address - please let me know if you have an understanding of this.

Warm Regards,
Gaurav Srivastava.