[SIPForum-discussion] Processing a SIP message containing multiple Request-Lines

Banda, Srinivas (Srinivas) sribanda at avaya.com
Fri Jun 7 14:30:19 UTC 2013

Hi Jagan,

Ideally all the SIP messages should contain one Request-Line. Here we see three Request-Lines, so it is a bad request and I feel it should be responded with 400 Bad Request. Some entity in the n/w might be manipulating the SIP message to contain multiple request lines.
By the way what is the Method Name added in the C-Seq Header?

Regards
Srinivas

From: discussion-bounces at sipforum.org [mailto:discussion-bounces at sipforum.org] On Behalf Of Jagan Mohan
Sent: Friday, June 07, 2013 2:55 PM
To: SIP Implementors; discussion at sipforum.org
Subject: [SIPForum-discussion] Processing a SIP message containing multiple Request-Lines

Hello,

I'm having this scenario, where there are multiple Request-Lines in the received SIP message.

INVITE sip:test at server.com<mailto:sip%3Atest at server.com> SIP/2.0
    UPDATE sip:test at server.com<mailto:sip%3Atest at server.com> SIP/2.0
    BYE sip:test at server.com<mailto:sip%3Atest at server.com> SIP/2.0
    To: ...
    Call-ID: ...
    Via: ...
     < Message Body>

Here, I see there are two possible solutions to handle this.

1) Just use the first request line and continue processing the SIP message as if it's an INVITE in this case.
2) Respond with a 400 Bad Request.

Though my preference is to go with the first solution, I would like to know which solution should be preferred.
     I could not find any reference to this behavior, in any RFC. Is there any standard which talks about the same?

Thanks,
Jagan

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://sipforum.org/pipermail/discussion/attachments/20130607/9963dd65/attachment-0002.html>

More information about the discussion mailing list