[SIPForum-discussion] What is "inside dialog" and "outside dialog"

Santosh Iyer spi6281 at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 18 22:45:25 UTC 2013

Well to understand the difference between inside and outside dialog, I guess you need to understand what a dialog is.
A dialog is a relationship between two endpoints which is identified by a combination of the callid, to-tag and from-tag.
So for example messages like Re-Invite, BYE are considered as in-dialog messages as they can be identified by those three parameters
Whereas an Initial Invite can be considered as an out-of-dialog message.(reason being we are still waiting for a response with the to-tag and a dialog has not been formed yet).
Santosh