[SIPForum-discussion] Record-Route

Abhisek Acharya abhisek.acharya at gmail.com
Fri Feb 1 12:17:13 UTC 2013

hey tapen,

this is one of the controversial questions?

But what I believe about Record-route is as below.

1.Statefull proxies ideally by passes out of the signaling flow once the
media path gets established between the calling and called party.
2.But there are state full proxies which want to remain in the signaling
path even after session is establised.
3.So they add a Record-route header so that all the feature requests in
side the dialog will go through them.
4.For example if a statefull proxy is taking care of the billing stuffs
then it MUST receive the BYE message to go through it so that it will stop
the billing.

5.Another use also i have seen in one of the implementation when a single
LINUX or SOALRIS box used and it sits in the edge of the networjk  where it
has a public interface as well as private interface.

6.So when a message comes inside the public interface the public interface
adds a Record-route header to make sure its presence right through the call.

Let me know if this helps.

But I will suggest you to check RFC 3261 as its the best place to refer.

Regards
Abhisek Acharya