[SIPForum-discussion] Time interval between requests

mustafa aydin mustafaydin82 at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 6 07:19:41 UTC 2012

Hi All,

First of all , I would like to thank you for all these valuable comments.

I know  that "CANCEL" can not be sent to the initial INVITE unless UAC gets a provisional response. However, I could  not find anything which states that it is also applicable to RE-INVITE requests and also the SBC vendor does not want to change their code to wait for  1xx response before sending CANCEL since they also say that it is not particularly mentioned in RFCs (although they reply with 100 trying to Re-invite :) ). But for me  it is very logical to wait for 1xx response due to the fact that UAS can receive CANCEL before the RE-INVITE and it would cause a race condition.

@Abhisek,

Everything is going well here, I hope the same for you. I believe you can send a cancel to re-invite, first of all there is nothing in RFCs which says we can't do it, secondly, how can the UAC terminate the re-invite request other than sending a CANCEL message ?  If you google it , you can see lots of example with Re-Invite-Cancel, but unfortunatelly none of them mentions about waiting for provisional response.

You can find the call flow below, you know the softswitch vendor very well :)

                SIP PBX                SBC (B2BUA)              Softswitch

                     ------ ReInvite------>               --- Re-INVITE-->
                     <----- 100 trying-----                 ---CANCEL--->    <0.0004 sec later>
0.003 sec ltr    ------CANCEL------>             <-- 200ok (to cancel) --
                   <-- 200ok (to cancel) --             <--- 200 ok w SDP (to re-invite)--
                                                         <softswitch keeps on sending 200ok w sdp until timeout>

It is another question why softswitch does not send back 487 although it sends back 200 OK to Cancel. It might be because of not being able to process CANCEL message (but somehow it can send back 200 OK to cancel), but it is not our main concern for now. 200 ok w SDP messages are most probably also the result of congestion on softswitch side.

Regards,
Mustafa AYDIN