[SIPForum-discussion] Possible responses to 180 Ringing Messages

Banda, Srinivas (Srinivas) sribanda at avaya.com
Thu Jan 5 06:54:08 UTC 2012

Hi Rudra,

But assuming the question is re-framed as what all are possible next
messages after a 180 Ringing, THEN among the options, we can have a
CANCEL coming in as well. If still I have to choose a 3rd option then, I
would choose an INVITE as my last option. The reason for choosing INVITE
and not BYE as my answer is that(based on my gut feeling):- in an event
a user decides to drop the call, he has to send a CANCEL. However, if
the user decides to change any of the entries in the INVITE headers (say
contacts, or codecs etc), it has to come up to the far-end client in
form of INVITE only.

I completely disagree with the above analysis:

How does a UA sends another INVITE,  without getting the final response
to the Initial INVITE?

In this case if the UA wants to change(codec etc) he has to Send the
UPDATE not the INVITE message.

Regards

Srinivas