[SIPForum-discussion] NAT

Joaquim Rodrigues joaquim.jl.rodrigues at gmail.com
Tue Sep 27 09:39:44 UTC 2011

Hi,

You have several mechanisms to address that network topology, each with its
own strengths and flaws:

STUN - Works fine between two SIP EP with some NATs, but fails in others
(symmetric NAT)

TURN - Extends STUN to bypass limitations, but requires a media relay on all
calls

ICE - A more intelligent approach, derived from STUN/TURN, which allows
end-points to select be best path to establish the media stream

ALG - Implemented on the network border, also known as NAT Traversal

The first three need to be supported by end-points, while ALG is implemented
on the network border equipment.

jk