[SIPForum-discussion] SIP Call Waiting Messages and Call Charges

Rohan Almeida almeida.rohan at gmail.com
Thu Oct 6 10:46:37 UTC 2011

Hi Stewart,

you are absolutely right, The 'on-busy-greeting'  should be played using
early media (SIP 183 sesssion progress).

These announcements will generally be played from a MRF(Media resource
function). The call between the CPE(caller) and MRF can be established using

1> INVITE
2> 183 session progress

If the call is establised using INVITE, the caller might be charged.
Popular softswitches like broadsoft provide the facility to play
announcements using both the mechanisims. The method chosen is configurable.

Generally the CDRs generated by  the PBX, sofswitches will show the actual
call duration starting from when the call was actually picked up the call.

regards,
Rohan Almeida