[SIPForum-discussion] PRACK when using TCP

Hemant Kumar uniqhemant at gmail.com
Fri Nov 4 10:06:34 UTC 2011

Hi,

TCP as a transport layer protocol just ensures that the transmitted packets
are received by the destination while PRACK messages are acknowledgement
for SIP(Application layer protocol) reliable provisional responses.
So a PRACK message received by a UAC ensures not only that the reliable
response has been received by UAS's transport layer but also that it has
been processed by its SIP layer.

Also think of a scenario in which media negotitations happen in 1xx-PRACK
message exchange.

Regards,
Hemant