[SIPForum-discussion] Why ACK is separate transaction for INVITE

Johnson Jagasetty johnsetty at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 21 05:34:48 UTC 2011

Hi ,
Here is my understanding why ACK is separate transaction for INVITE.

When ever 200 response comes it will be sent to UAC. here UAC is responsible to acknowledge all 200 responses with ACK.
Since transaction layer (Once response has been received, the state will be changed to completed).doesn't care about re transmissions of ACK, Hence UAC has to take care of that and UAC will  handover the ACK to transport layer directly.
So in this context ACK must be a separate transaction.

Please correct me if I am wrong

Regards,
johnson