[SIPForum-discussion] If TCP is used as transport then can we ignore sending of ACK?

Abinash Sarangi s_abinash at hotmail.com
Sun Jul 31 06:02:43 UTC 2011

Hi,
Whatever be the underlying transport protocol be it TCP/SCTP/RUDP(for reliable transport) or UDP (non-reliable), every sip client or server has to achieve a 3-way handshake at transaction layer (invite--1xx--2xx--ack) for offer-answer mechanism.(example delayed offer  we need ACK to carry SDP payload)3way handshake at transport layer for TCP ensures socket is established both way but can not ensure application payload is exchanged properly or not.

Thanks in advance,

-Abinash