[SIPForum-discussion] Transcoding devices in VOIP

Rohan Almeida almeida.rohan at gmail.com
Thu Jul 14 14:46:46 UTC 2011

Hi Amit,

if you are going for transcoding you need to know the exact codecs
that will be supported/not-supported at both the ends. This is
required to determine when transcoding is required.

it is not a good idea to force transcoding. since your transcoding
module is seperate from the SBC , the SBC will have to be configured
to negotiate on a codec that is not a part of the offer/answer from
one of the sides.

if transcoding is done on the SBC itself , the SBC can determine when
the transcoding is required.

in your suggested setup transcoding will have to be statically
configured for some codecs.

answering few of ur questions

1.How msuch possible and correct to do trasncoding in VOIP carriere
level platforms?
-> not recommended. but sometimes will be required if no common codec
is supported.

4.If i wish to do trasncoding on seperate BOX (out of my SBC) is the
same call flow of media packets? or signaling packets to do
transcoding?

A Party-------->SBC--------------->Tarnscoder
BOX------------>SBC(Same)--------------->B Part or far end?
->if the transcoder box is sip aware,yes

6. based on diffrent codec types and annex CPU usage and bandwidth
consumption is diffrent while transcondng?
-> yes definitely

regards,
Rohan Almeida