[SIPForum-discussion] Securing SIP Trunks

Harry West westie5017 at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 25 09:27:29 UTC 2011

Good Morning All,
I hope you are well.
Please could you offer some assistance on a scenario that I am struggling with. Basically, I am trying to identify ways in which I can provide additional VoIP security to a SIP Trunk that I have configured in my lab. When the SIP Trunk is configured between my Cisco Gateway and OpenSBC, I have found that there is a "hole" in the SBC...which I am assuming is the open ports/channels for the SIP Trunk users. My concern is that this hole presents a significant vulnerability and I am keen to identify ways in which I can add further security.
I have an Access Control List (ACL) that only permits traffic between the Cisco Gateway and SBC, however, if this ACL is compromised then it leaves it wide open. Additionally, there is standard SIP Authentication, Trunk Group Authentication, Session Admission Control and a Maximum Call Capacity in place. Can you suggest any other areas for consideration?
Many thanks in advance and I look forward to hearing from you.
Kind Regards,

Harry