[SIPForum-discussion] How to find packet is SIP or RTP

mehmet eng.mehmetozi at gmail.com
Wed Apr 6 06:10:32 UTC 2011

Hi,

SIP is a text based protocol.So it is easy to distinguish the packets from
each other.But in which area do you want to see?
For example if you are using an application runs over any SIP Stack, SIP
Stack gives you the packet as text or how it is configured
Otherwise you have to use wireshark, it distinguished the packets which it
captured and it shows the packet type (SIP, RTP, ARP, NTP, HTTP etc ...)
also
write headers in meaningfull.
Otherwise it may be difficult to understand the packet type inside a raw IP
packet which just you will see hex numbers.

I hope this infor clarifies your question.

Regards.
Mehmet