[SIPForum-discussion] Is (200)Ok without Ringing (180, 183) a right approach?

Corey Thornburg cthornburg at momentumtelecom.com
Thu Sep 16 16:53:23 UTC 2010

It is acceptable, yes.  However, in general I have usually seen a 180 even if the call is auto answered.

Rosenberg, et. al.          Standards Track                    [Page 83]

RFC 3261            SIP: Session Initiation Protocol           June 2002

   contains a session id and version number in the origin (o) field.  If
   the user is already a member of the session, and the session
   parameters contained in the session description have not changed, the
   UAS MAY silently accept the INVITE (that is, send a 2xx response
   without prompting the user).

   If the INVITE does not contain a session description, the UAS is
   being asked to participate in a session, and the UAC has asked that
   the UAS provide the offer of the session.  It MUST provide the offer
   in its first non-failure reliable message back to the UAC.  In this
   specification, that is a 2xx response to the INVITE.

   The UAS can indicate progress, accept, redirect, or reject the
   invitation.  In all of these cases, it formulates a response using
   the procedures described in Section 8.2.6.

Corey Thornburg
VoIP Architect