[SIPForum-discussion] DNS Name encoding in Response

Ashutosh Panda ashubdk at gmail.com
Fri Oct 22 13:25:16 UTC 2010

Hi All,

This is a question regarding DNS Response to DNS A Query. Please find the
wireshark trace for DNS Response attached here.
*Question:* In the response, we see in Queries: talk.google.com has been
encoded as

"04 74 61 6c 6b 06 67 6f 6f 67 6c 65 03 63 6f 6d 00" which is the correct
encoded data.

But in *Answers* Section: talk.google.com has been encoded as : "c0 0c"

Please let me know why such encoding difference is there and if there is any
special encoding involved here?

Thanks in Advance

Ashutosh