[SIPForum-discussion] FAX Issue in VoIP

murali shankar murali.elangovan at gmail.com
Thu Oct 21 12:40:13 UTC 2010

Hi All,

        Facing issue while sending FAX through VOIP...getting error no
response.

Below are the details:-

VoIP Gateway:-Elastix
OS:Linux
Protocol:- Tried with both SIP and T.38
Codec:G.711U,G.711A
3rd party tool:-High FAX [installed in server]

High client software has been installed in windows XP machine from that the
file which needs to send will be uploaded via that client .

Client PC-->VoIP Gateway-->MPLS cloud-->SBC-->provider

Please suggest me ....

Regards,
Murali Shankar.E

On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 4:36 PM, murali shankar
<murali.elangovan at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi All,
>
>        Thanks for the Response. Is there any specific configuration that
> needs to be enabled on a Nextone switch for FAX ?If so enabling that will
> affect any voice calls made through that endpoint?
>
> Regards,
> Murali Shankar.E
>

> On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 6:15 PM, Kevin P. Fleming <kpfleming at digium.com>wrote:
>
>> On 09/13/2010 09:42 AM, Broussard, Dan wrote:
>> > I have found that G.711 does a better job than T.38
>> >

>> > FAX devices that use V.34 to achieve 28800 bps and 36600 bps
>> > transmission rates are often referred to as Super Group 3 devices.
>> > Customers serviced usually can achieve 28800 bps and 36600 bps
>> > transmission rates using G.711.  They cannot achieve these transmission
>> > rates using T.38.
>>
>> That's because there are very few T.38 gateways deployed in carrier
>> networks that support V.34 FAX. Until recently, the procedures for
>> properly handling T.38 call setup when both V.34 and non-V.34 endpoints
>> are involved weren't even fully specified... but the
>> soon-to-be-published T.38 2010 recommendation addresses this issue
>> (among many others) and we hope to see deployment of V.34-capable
>> gateways increase in the near future.
>>
>> --
>> Kevin P. Fleming
>> Digium, Inc. | Director of Software Technologies
>> 445 Jan Davis Drive NW - Huntsville, AL 35806 - USA
>> skype: kpfleming | jabber: kfleming at digium.com
>> Check us out at www.digium.com & www.asterisk.org

Thanks & Regards,
Murali Shankar.E