[SIPForum-discussion] Is TCP feasible for SIP??

M. Ranganathan mranga at gmail.com
Sat Oct 16 02:59:12 UTC 2010

TCP makes it more painful when Firewalls are used.  You establish an
outbound connection but the local socket is bound to some random port
on your sender side. This does not correspond to your Contact address
( for example, that may be some port like 5060, whereas the outbound
connection as bound to some random port). The Server cannot connect to
port 5060 as specified in the Contact header.

A UDP socket on the other hand, can bind to port 5060 and you can use
that same socket to send the INVITE. The server that gets the INVITE
can signal port 5060 because Firewalls and NATs are frequently
configured to be able to receive on a port they send from.

I am guessing that this is the reason why you see much more UDP than
TCP for SIP over the WAN.

M. Ranganathan