[SIPForum-discussion] regarding tag parameter in From header

Nagendrababu Maseedu Nagendra.Babu.Maseedu at convergys.com
Fri May 7 05:56:47 UTC 2010

Hi Nishant,

            I am sharing my knowledge on tags that was gathered from Jan Janak and RFC 3261.

One use case where tags are very important to have is in Forking scenarios.

When a caller sends an INVITE to a callee, the call can land on his home phone, office phone and mobile at the same time(Known as Parallel Forking).
What will happen if all the three phones of the callee are picked up? Caller would receive three 200 OK responses from three the same callee. Isn't it?
In this case, how would the caller uniquely identify the callee when the call-id , From ID and To ID remain the same?
This is the reason why a globally unique tag is added to the second half of the From and To headers.

>From tag is generated by the caller and it uniquely identifies the dialog in the caller's user agent.
To tag is generated by a callee and it uniquely identifies, just like From tag, the dialog in the callee's user agent.
This hierarchical dialog identifier is necessary because a single call invitation can create several dialogs and caller must be able to distinguish them.

               Please also refer to RC 3261 - Sec 19.3 Tags

Kind regards,

Nag.