[SIPForum-discussion] Spiral Or Loop

M. Ranganathan mranga at gmail.com
Thu Mar 11 15:47:03 UTC 2010

A spiral is a loop of multiplicity < k where k is a number that is
known apriori.

There are a few methods. Simplest one is to "stamp" the topmost via
header that you insert in the request that is proxied. When a request
visits the proxy, examine the via headers to see if it has been
previously inserted by the proxy.  A spiral has a limited number of
these. A loop will have many.

If you have been subverted by an intervening B2BUA you are SOL ( as
they say in the parlance ).

On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 6:42 AM, Dileep Ravindran
<dileepravindran at tataelxsi.co.in> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
>  I wanted to know how a proxy server will detect whether the request
> received is a Spiral or Loop??
>

> Thanks
> Dileep

M. Ranganathan