[SIPForum-discussion] difference btw 408 and 504

Prasad G prasad4mail at gmail.com
Tue Jan 26 07:48:18 UTC 2010

Hi,

 All 4xx response corresponds to client error and 5xx response corresponds
to server error.

You are gettingt 408 response from the Client transaction layer when the
request has timed out. Here the request is not responded by the server or
not reached the server

504 is sent by the server when the server transaction times out at the
server side.

To generate 408 response try to send the request where the server is not
running. After the request times out you will get a 408 response.

Regards,
Prasad