[SIPForum-discussion] 183 Session Progress

Jean-Sébastien Decubber js.decubber at gmail.com
Thu Jan 21 15:16:57 UTC 2010

Hi,

The 100rel support in INVITE message is present to indicate the support of
the reliable provisional response mechanism. This is not used by the
outbound proxy to make a choice about the answer it will send back.

This choice is made by the remote endpoint. If the remote endpoint is a PSTN
gateway it will certainly use the ITU-T recommendation describing the
SIP-ISUP interworking (the recommendation describes how to translate ACM
message from ISUP. It can be either a 180 ringing or a 183 SP).

I hope it helps,
Regards,
JS