[SIPForum-discussion] Issue with Silence Suppression

Garrity, John N. (Infrastructure Solutions Dept.) john.garrity at thehartford.com
Fri Jan 15 20:04:19 UTC 2010

You are using G.729b, providing silence suppression, and some of the
carriers only offer G.729a.  Question you carriers as to their ability
to process G.729b?

John G.

________________________________

From: discussion-bounces at sipforum.org
[mailto:discussion-bounces at sipforum.org] On Behalf Of Ashoke Kumar Ghosh
Sent: Friday, January 15, 2010 10:09 AM
To: discussion at sipforum.org
Subject: [SIPForum-discussion] Issue with Silence Suppression

I have some problem with Silence Suppression on from Application Server.

The Appl Server works as B2BUA. It first establishes a session with
media server after receiving an INVITE message from Softswitch for
playing announcement & taking digits from user.

Thereafter, it puts the A party on hold using Re-INVITE (The IP address
for RTP is given as 0.0.0.0) and initiates another session with B party.

Once 180 Ringing/183 Session Progress is received with B party SDP, Appl
Server sends the A party resume using Re-INVITE and B party SDP with
Silence Suppression on.

This call flow is working for more than 3 yrs now. I have seen some old
traces & found the same thing. But now we are getting complaints from
carriers who claim that this is causing problem at their end.

My queries

1.       What is the purpose of Silence Suppression & when it should be
used.

2.       Which is the RFC I can refer to know more on Silence
Suppression.

3.       Can Silence Suppression create a problem for proxies as claimed
by the carrier If yes what can be problem

Hope to get a quick response from experts.

Regards...

Ashoke Ghosh

This communication, including attachments, is for the exclusive use of addressee and may contain proprietary, confidential and/or privileged information.  If you are not the intended recipient, any use, copying, disclosure, dissemination or distribution is strictly prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail, delete this communication and destroy all copies.