[SIPForum-discussion] About Asterisk 1.4.11

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Wed Feb 10 01:46:12 UTC 2010

Nalini Velidi wrote:
> Hi,
> I want to know if Asterisk 1.4.11 is the best SIP server available for
> running in a Mac system. Please suggest if there are any other options.
> I am planning to set up a SIP server and connect SIP clients to it.
> Please help.

Asterisk 1.4.x runs on Mac OSX reasonably well, but 1.4.11 is an ancient
release in the 1.4.x series. Asterisk is also not a 'SIP server' in the
sense you are probably thinking of; it's a multi-protocol back-to-back
user agent that supports SIP (among other protocols). It can certainly
be used to provide services, applications and call routing to SIP
clients. If you are installing a brand new system, it would be highly
recommended to consider the 1.6.2.x release series, as that is the
latest release with the most features available.

--
Kevin P. Fleming
skype: kpfleming | jabber: kpfleming at digium.com