[SIPForum-discussion] Bye responce

Umang umang2382 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 9 14:51:31 UTC 2010

The quick response, A should eventually time out if it doesn't receive RTP,
Comfort Noise, or Keep Alives.

I have done some preliminary R&D on this (many years ago) & I would assume
that your UA's are utilizing comfort noise - RFC 3389?  If so, consider the
following example:

-Call is established between A & B (doesn't matter who initiates)
-User on B does not generate any voice & therefore UA on B begins to
transmit Comfort Nose packets every 200 ms.
-A receives comfort noise packets every 200 ms (which also indicate to A
that the call is still active)
-If no comfort noise, or RTP w/voice payload, packets were being received by
A for interval X, it would eventually timeout.

Umang Patel | MIT | Communications Research Engineer