[SIPForum-discussion] Branch parameter v/s CSeq as transaction identifier

dinesh gupta dinesh.gupta2005 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 2 09:14:57 UTC 2010

Hello,

*Branch:*  The branch parameter is a transaction identifier. Responses
relating to this
request can be correlated because they will contain this same transaction
identifier.

*CSeq:* The remote CSeq storage is necessary to distinguish
between a re-INVITE and a retransmission. A re-INVITE is used to
change the session parameters of an existing or pending call. It uses the
same Call-ID, but the CSeq is incremented because it is a new request. A
retransmitted INVITE will contain the same Call-ID and CSeq as a previous
INVITE.

As Vijay said that is true.

On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 2:39 PM, SIP Babie <sipbabie at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I would like to know why and how is a branch parameter in Via header able
> to identify a transaction, and if so, why do we need CSeq header to identify
> a transaction?
>
> If possible please explain with an example.
>
> Regards
> sipBabie

Thanks & Regards,

Dinesh Gupta