[SIPForum-discussion] min-se and session expires timer

bhanu gowda prakashec1983 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 13 05:45:57 UTC 2010

Hi Karthik,

1>Question
According to RFC 4028

Min-Se: Is a Timer where UA's should be configured equal to or more than
Min-Se.For ex:If you have configured Min-Se value to an less value you will
facing more processing loads i.e  moreTraffic  in real deployments.So they
have come up with Min-Se with some value which is ideal for deployments.In
our project it was 90secs.The Min-SE header field establishes the lower
bound for the session refresh interval.

Minimum Timer: Because of the processing load of mid-dialog requests,

all elements (proxy, UAC, UAS) can have a configured minimum value

for the session interval that they are willing to accept. This

value is called the minimum timer.

Session Expires:The Session-Expires header field establishes the upper bound
for the session refresh interval.Is a value where UA's have negotiated each
other to  refresh the session  with in that period .For Ex if the session
expire is negotiated for the value 120 seconds,the session refresh takes
place at 60 seconds i.e 1/2 of Session expire value

Session Expiration: The time at which an element will consider the

session timed out, if no successful session refresh transaction

occurs beforehand.
2> From my view its legal ,but i am not sure on this.

Folks,if i am incorrect please correct me.

Regards
Bhanuprakash HP