[SIPForum-discussion] Proxy/Registration servers.

Badri Ranganathan badri at arcatech.com
Mon Dec 6 11:52:44 UTC 2010

Hi all,

I have some doubts regarding proxy/registration servers. I always see that commonly available servers do both proxy and registration together . eg: Brekeke or Asterisk

Q1) But what's the advantage of having a separate proxy server and a separate registration server (sharing a common database). Is it just about the capacity (i.e., traffic volumes) or is there anything more to it ?

Q2) Contact information from requests made to registration servers is made available to other SIP servers within the same administrative domain, such as proxies and redirect servers.

        Is it possible to have the registration server and the proxy server in different domains ? (in which case, how will the database for proxy servers be populated ?)

Cheers,

Badri.