[SIPForum-discussion] SIP Voice Quality Sniffer

Terry Howe terrylhowe at gmail.com
Fri Dec 3 19:58:00 UTC 2010

SIP voice quality project I worked on when I was thumb twiddling this
Spring.  Sorry for the cross post.  Do with it what you please:

https://github.com/TerryHowe/SIP-Voice-Quality-Report-Reaper

README:

The SIP Voice Quality Report Reaper sniffs RTCP and RTP packets and generates
SIP PUBLISH messages with voice quality reports.  It does this in accordance
with the following RFC:

http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6035.txt

The tool is designed to sniff packets on a network and generate voice quality
reports most likely to another network.  The advantage of using the mode where
RTP packets are sniffed is most devices don't support voice quality reports

and the Reaper can be used to analyze a segment of the network so that
fingers can be pointed.

There is a shell script to generate an installable deb file and it has been
tested on some Ubuntu distros.

In order to work properly, the RTP voice packets and the SIP signalling packets
must be on the same network.

The tool is written in Java with some C code to customize tcpdump so that it
can be used as a Berkeley Packet Filter for the Reaper.