[SIPForum-discussion] (no subject)

Badri Ranganathan badri at arcatech.com
Fri Dec 3 12:29:19 UTC 2010

Hi all,

We have these fields in a INVITE message

1.       Contact

2.       CSeq

3.       From

5.       Via

The "From" gives us the originator of the SIP INVITE request

The "Contact" gives us the SIP URI of the communication device.

I am seeing an implementation of a UA(User Agent) where contents of "from" is being copied into "contact" before sending out the INVITE message ?

I feel this could prevent the UA from having the flexibility of changing its contact.

i.e., I feel that "contact" should be a separately configurable header field.

Any ideas on how a UA should have been designed ?

Thanks,

Badri.