[SIPForum-discussion] [SIP-Forum discussion] Support of # into Request-Uri

AMIT ANAND amiit.anand at gmail.com
Fri Dec 3 02:40:48 UTC 2010

Hi Federico,

Your vendor is correct, see the below from RFC 3261

*SIP follows the requirements and guidelines of RFC 2396 [5] when
   defining the set of characters that must be escaped in a SIP URI, and
   uses its ""%" HEX HEX" mechanism for escaping.  From RFC 2396 [5]:

      The set of characters actually reserved within any given URI
      component is defined by that component.  In general, a character
      is reserved if the semantics of the URI changes if the character
      is replaced with its escaped US-ASCII encoding [5].  Excluded US-
      ASCII characters (RFC 2396 [5]), such as space and control
      characters and characters used as URI delimiters, also MUST be
      escaped.  URIs MUST NOT contain unescaped space and control
      characters.

Now from RFC 2396.

The character "#" is excluded
   because it is used to delimit a URI from a fragment identifier in URI
   references (Section 4). The percent character "%" is excluded because

AND

Data corresponding to excluded characters must be escaped in order to
   be properly represented within a URI.it is used for the encoding of
escaped character*.

*
*So # should get replaced with %hexvalue of # which is 23 so # should
be replaced with %23
*

*

On Wed, Dec 1, 2010 at 9:06 PM, Federico piesio <fede.legge at gmail.com>wrote:

> Dear members,
> I have one doubt regarding use of digit # into R-Uri. The vendor of Class4
> softswitch is saying that RFC 3261 specifies that # is not supported as a
> digit in a sip uri or tel uri, so their implementation is that softswitch
> receives a R-Uri containing # and changes digit "#" with extradecadic "C"
> when sending ahead the INVITE.
>
> Does anyone know about this limitation in SIP? I'm really not sure of what
> vendor states about. I didn't find anything about in 3261 or 2806.
>
> Thank you
> Regards
> Federico

Thanks