[SIPForum-discussion] REFER in a call transfer ...

Vivek Batra Vivek.Batra at matrixcomsec.com
Thu Aug 26 12:12:37 UTC 2010

Murli;

Murali - Got your point. Need a small clarification further. B calls C, C is
in some other call and B goes on hook immediately.  Would A be getting busy
tone ?? And as B has already gone on hook there is no point of retrieving
the call back. A can terminate the dialog with C. Pls. clarify me.

Vivek - I think, its just mistype, B does not call C, in you case B is
calling A and A calls C.

Anyway yes, if transferor (B) goes onhook immediately after performing
transfer activity and dialog between A & B has been terminated, A should
honor the provisional and final responses received from C, and hence tones
should be played by A accordingly.

There is no point to terminate the dialog between A and C since this dialog
would never have been existed due to receipt of final error response (486
Busy). So A should play Busy Tone in that case.

Murali - As far as I know  B receives a NOTIFY only after the transfer is
completed(i.e, after the speech path is established b/n A and C). I don't
see any NOTIFY being sent for alerting. Either it would be Notify with 100
trying or Notify with 200OK. My only concern here is how come B gets Ring
back without receiving the alert messages.

Vivek - I couldn't point any RFC which can give you better idea for NOTIFY
with 180 Ringing or other messages, but what I can surely say that the
protocols just provide the frame-work and it is upto us to innovate ensuring
they are still compliant with the recommendations of protocol.

In our implementation and mapped with your example, B receives NOTIFY with
180 Ringing and hence play RBT. I think this is the best practice and
implemented by other vendors too.

Murali : I guess there are a few phones that are connected trough PAP2 which
still doesn't support REFER.

Vivek -  Are you referring Linksys PAP2 ATA? If yes, I have worked a lot on
this device and it also support REFER method. You need to check the settings
again.

Best Regards,

Vivek Batra

  _____