[SIPForum-discussion] UAC behavior for an un-answered UPDATE request

Nagendrababu Maseedu Nagendra.Babu.Maseedu at convergys.com
Mon Apr 5 14:39:55 UTC 2010

Hi,

Thanks for providing me help.

Meanwhile, I also checked RFC 3311 and found the following...

5.3 Processing the UPDATE Response
    .
    .
    .

  If a UA receives a non-2xx final response to a UPDATE, the session

  parameters MUST remain unchanged, as if no UPDATE had been issued.

  Note that, as stated in Section 12.2.1 of RFC 3261 [1], if the non-

  2xx final response is a 481 (Call/Transaction Does Not Exist), or a

  408 (Request Timeout), or no response at all is received for the

  UPDATE (that is, a timeout is returned by the UPDATE client

  transaction), the UAC will terminate the dialog.

  .

  .

  .

So, what I understand from it is that, once the UAC sends the UPDATE request, it starts the Timer (T1?) and once the expiry, the UAC will terminate the dialog. I feel that the termination can be a 4xx or even a tear down with BYE.
Though your explanation is close, I still need to know if there is retransmission of UPDATE ever.

Regards,
Nag.