[SIPForum-discussion] UAC behavior for an un-answered UPDATE request

Nagendrababu Maseedu Nagendra.Babu.Maseedu at convergys.com
Mon Apr 5 14:39:55 UTC 2010

Hi,

Thanks for providing me help.

Meanwhile, I also checked RFC 3311 and found the following...

5.3 Processing the UPDATE Response

If a UA receives a non-2xx final response to a UPDATE, the session

parameters MUST remain unchanged, as if no UPDATE had been issued.

Note that, as stated in Section 12.2.1 of RFC 3261 [1], if the non-

2xx final response is a 481 (Call/Transaction Does Not Exist), or a

408 (Request Timeout), or no response at all is received for the

UPDATE (that is, a timeout is returned by the UPDATE client

transaction), the UAC will terminate the dialog.

So, what I understand from it is that, once the UAC sends the UPDATE request, it starts the Timer (T1?) and once the expiry, the UAC will terminate the dialog. I feel that the termination can be a 4xx or even a tear down with BYE.
Though your explanation is close, I still need to know if there is retransmission of UPDATE ever.

Regards,
Nag.

Sent: Monday, April 05, 2010 7:52 PM
To: Nagendrababu Maseedu
Cc: discussion at sipforum.org
Subject: Re: [SIPForum-discussion] UAC behavior for an un-answered UPDATE request

Hi Naga,

There could be two  result.
1. If UAC is not a session refresher then UPDATE  will be retransmitted  as per  as  Timer.
2. If UAC is session refresher then Session will be Terminated by sending BYE after Re-transmission of UPDATE request.

Hope  this  will give you the ans to your  question.

Best  Regards,
S  S  Rout
On Mon, Apr 5, 2010 at 5:09 PM, Nagendrababu Maseedu <Nagendra.Babu.Maseedu at convergys.com<mailto:Nagendra.Babu.Maseedu at convergys.com>> wrote:
Hi,

Can any one help me understand the UAC behavior when an UPDATE request is not answered by the UAS for some reason?

(a)                Will UAC timeout on the UPDATE method? What happens then?
(b)               Will the UPDATE be retransmitted?
(c)                Any other behavior?

Regards,
Nag.

NOTICE: The information contained in this electronic mail transmission is intended by Convergys Corporation for the use of the named individual or entity to which it is directed and may contain information that is privileged or otherwise confidential. If you have received this electronic mail transmission in error, please delete it from your system without copying or forwarding it, and notify the sender of the error by reply email or by telephone (collect), so that the sender's address records can be corrected.

NOTICE: The information contained in this electronic mail transmission is intended by Convergys Corporation for the use of the named individual or entity to which it is directed and may contain information that is privileged or otherwise confidential. If you have received this electronic mail transmission in error, please delete it from your system without copying or forwarding it, and notify the sender of the error by reply email or by telephone (collect), so that the sender's address records can be corrected.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://sipforum.org/pipermail/discussion/attachments/20100405/00133c0c/attachment-0002.html>

More information about the discussion mailing list