[SIPForum-discussion] sip and sip-I

WIGNELL, CLIFFORD (CLIFFORD) cwignell at alcatel-lucent.com
Mon Sep 14 02:45:00 UTC 2009

Hello

SIP-I is covered by ITU-T recommendation Q.1912.5 package C.

SIP-I contains the ISUP parameters in the body (as a mime block) of the SIP messages and contains techniques for passing mid-call messaging

SIP-T/I specifies interworking between ISUP/BICC and SIP
The interworking specifications include:

 *   Architectural context
 *   Mappings for specific parameters
 *   Mechanism for encapsulating ISUP messages.

SIP-T is specified in three IETF RFCs: RFC 3372, RFC 3398, RFC 3578

SIP-I is the ITU specification for SIP interworking with International ISUP (Q.761-Q.764) and BICC (Q.1902.1-Q.1902.4) in Q.1912.5
It specifies actions for three profiles, A, B, and C

North American variations in ANSI T1.PP.679-2004

SIP-I (Q.1912.5) and SIP-T are generally consistent except for subtle differences in terms of options, level of detail, and explicit vs. implicit requirements

SIP-I assumes a suitable "trust domain" exists between gateways
SIP-T assumes it is always necessary to use cryptography verify identity, establish trust, and to secure communication.

Q.1912.5 has been developed in the ITU-T and therefore has benefited from extensive input from numerous carriers.
SIP-I is more robust relative to mapping ISUP messages and parameters.

SIP-T has been developed in IETF, and therefore has benefited from a careful analysis of security considerations
Provides more detail in the context of public IP networks where "trust domains" may not exist

Best regards

Cliff Wignell
Wireline Product Competency Centre APAC
Cell:    +61 419 747 373