[SIPForum-discussion] Carrying additional information in a SIPmessage.

Ayyanar PK pkayyanar at in.com
Tue Oct 20 11:52:29 UTC 2009

 Hi Prasanna and Eric,The SIP Stack that we use has a provision to add a private to send only between our products. The header is something likePCompanyNameBusinessUnit. I added this header to the INVITE sent from one device to another through a Public SIP Trunk. It seems like the public SIP operatorswhich are acting like proxies are not forwarding this header. What am I supposed to do here ? The Call has to travel through a public SIP Trunk in that case can't I send a proprietary message from one of my device to another which are located at different places and connected by internet.Please give your suggestions. What else can I do ?Regards,Ayyanar Original message From:Eric Burger< eburger at sipforum.org >Date: 19 Oct 09 16:04:56Subject:Re: [SIPForumdiscussion] Carrying additional information in a SIPmessage.To: prasanna c Yes, but no.Yes, anyone can put an arbitrary header into a SIP message. Most SIP UAs will ignore it. Poor implementations will crash or worse.No, no one sho
 uld put an arbitrary header into a SIP message. What if you use "new:" to mean "here is a new feature" whereas the recipient UA uses "new:" to mean "wipe the device."On Oct 18, 2009, at 1:40 PM, prasanna c wrote:Do you mean we cannot just introduce new headers (ex : "new : 1234\r
") into SIP messages?In my understanding this is possible, as all the SIP elements which do NOT understand this header MUST simply ignore it. CC: pkayyanar at in.com; discussion at sipforum.orgFrom: eburger at sipforum.orgTo: cprasannac at hotmail.comSubject: Re: [SIPForumdiscussion] Carrying additional information in a SIP message.Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2009 18:33:01 0400Do realize there is no arbitrary ability to add headers willynilly, like X headers in email.You can always register an INFO package.On Oct 15, 2009, at 1:13 PM, prasanna c wrote:Hi,+ Yes, you can carry any information in a SIP message. You can introduce your SIP header to carry the IP address and the port number.+ If the requirement is just to pass on the IP address & port number, then you may want to use INFO SIP message, without establishing any call.Regards,PrasannaTo: discussion at sipforum.orgFrom: pkayyanar at in.comDate: Wed, 14 Oct 2009 17:35:41 +0530Subject: [SIPForumdiscussion] Carrying additional information in a SIP me
 ssage.Hi all,I have a requirement like, an IP address and a port number is got from an external application which has to be carried in a SIP message to another gateway. This additional information like IP and port is used by another application on the remote gateway side to establish a TCP connection to the gateway which initiated the SIP Call.Now my question is1. Is it possible to carry any additional information in a SIP message.2. If so which appropriate SIP message can be used.3. How can I differentiate between a normal SIP Call(voice call) and this Call which carries additional information.The constraint is the gateway which initiated the SIP Call, should also disconnect the call, on dissconect the remote gateway which established a TCP connection will disconnect the TCP connection too. Example:Remote Gateway 1 Remote Gateway2 INVITE (SIP Message)&g t;ToAdditional Info:IP and port